23 March 2007

Treasure in a Field

Matthew 13:44 The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field, which a man found and covered up. Then in his joy he goes and sells all that he has and buys that field.

I noticed something today I never saw before. I've always focused on two elements of this short parable: the value of the kingdom, and the joy of the one who found it. Those come through strongly.

But a third element is this. Upon finding the treasure, the man does not pick it up and take it with him. (I suppose we could suggest it was too big to be moved, but the fact that he covers it up indicates otherwise. Covering it up seems to say he wanted to buy the field before anyone else discovered the treasure and staked a claim on it.) Instead he goes and sells all he has and comes back and buys the field in which the treasure had been buried. My observation is that we adjust ourselves to the Kingdom, we do not expect the Kingdom to adjust to us. The man didn't take the tresure with him, he left everything behind and came to the treasure.

We give up all we have hoped in and counted on, and leaving it all behind we bank everything on the Kingdom. I wonder if much of the Church here in America, which is all that I'm familiar with, has tried to retain their lives with all its values and securities, instead of adjusting themselves to God.

No comments: