25 October 2012

Heaven is God

Scott Oliphint and Sinclair Ferguson:
Some time ago we heard a fascinating radio program in which a number of famous people were asked what they thought heaven would be like. A consistent three-point pattern began to emerge in their answers, although its most significant element seemed to pass unnoticed by the program makers:

1. All those interviewed believed in heaven.
2. All those interviewed assumed they would be there.
3. When asked to describe heaven, not one of those interviewed mentioned that God was there.

But it is the presence of God in holy, loving majesty that makes heaven what it is. It can even be said that heaven is the presence of God--being in heaven means living with him forever. 
--K. Scott Oliphint and Sinclair B. Ferguson, If I Should Die before I Wake (Baker, 1995), 44; quoted in Dan Barber and Robert Peterson, Life Everlasting: The Unfolding Story of Heaven (P&R, 2012), 185

3 comments:

Aletheia said...

Yes!

Aletheia said...

I had, just prior to reading this, seeking the Lord, read "But as for me, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me." Micah 7:Y

Anonymous said...

Talking about heaven without mentioning God...how sad.