17 October 2012

Bible Scholars in Their Lab Coats

Dostoevsky:
The science of this world . . . has examined everything heavenly that has been bequeathed to us in sacred books, and, after hard analysis, the learned ones of this world have absolutely nothing left of what was once holy. 
--Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov (Random House, 1991), 171

Kierkegaard:
He who can sit with ten open commentaries and read the Holy Scriptures--well, he is probably writing the eleventh, but he deals with the Scriptures contra naturam
--Soren Kierkegaard's Journals and Papers (Indiana University Press, 1967), 1:210

HT: Jonathan Pennington

2 comments:

Brad said...

Hi Dane,

Can you explain these quotes to me? I don't understand them, but I sense that they are important.

Brad

Jeff Wencel said...

Tis' true, and well said. Yeah! Reminds me of something someone once said: "I have food to eat about which they know nothing."