27 September 2011

Sloth

Packer:
Among the seven deadly sins of medieval lore was sloth--a state of hard-bitten, joyless apathy of spirit. There is a lot of it around today in Christian circles; the symptoms are personal spiritual inertia combined with critical cynicism about the churches and supercilious resentment of other Christians' initiative and enterprise. Behind this morbid and deadening condition often lies the wounded pride of one who thought he knew all about the ways of God in providence and then was made to learn by bitter and bewildering experience that he didn't.
--J. I. Packer, Knowing God, 95-96

That last sentence sobers me.

1 comment:

Trish said...

I was given this book from my church when I did my profession of faith, i haven't read it yet, this quote here is inspiring me to read it.
You're blog has been very helpful to me today, may the Lord continue to bless you.