27 April 2012

I Am Going to Him

On August 23, 1683--the day before he died--John Owen dictated a final letter to his friend Charles Fleetwood. Part of it reads:
I am going to Him whom my soul hath loved, or rather who hath loved me with an everlasting love; which is the whole ground of all my consolation. The passage is very irksome and wearysome through strong pains of various sorts which are all issued in an intermitting fever . . . I am leaving the ship of the church in a storm, but whilst the great Pilot is in it the loss of a poor under-rower will be inconsiderable.
--quoted in Sinclair Ferguson, John Owen on the Christian Life (Banner of Truth, 1987), 18

1 comment:

Nyssa Berryman said...

just couldn’t leave your website before telling you that we really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new posts.