27 July 2013

Jesus Worked a Secular Job

Sometimes, Christians will insist that the only work that is truly worthwhile, pleasing to God, and spiritual is the work of serving the proclamation of the gospel across the world. This view suggests that, if we were all truly earnest Christians, we would leave our “secular” jobs, in which we are simply making a living, providing for our families, and ruling the world, and we would all join the “sacred” work of mission.
But if we stop and think about Jesus’ life, we see that he was doing so-called secular work as a carpenter or a fisherman for many more years than he was a preacher and teacher. It would be blasphemous to suppose that during these years Jesus was living in a manner that was not fully godly and completely pleasing to his Father in heaven.
Jerram Barrs, Echoes of Eden: Reflections on Christianity, Literature, and the Arts (Crossway 2013), 21

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your post at Gospel Collation. It reminded me of a sermon I listened to this morning on John 7:53-8:11 the women caught in adultery. The pastor said that the story was not apart of the original text and should not be seen as authoritative but that it probably happened. Then he went on to preach what we could get out of the story even though it's not real. It's hard to describe in words how much this discouraged me. More than anything I want to understand Jesus love, compassion,and mercy. Jesus completely redeem her broken life. I want Jesus to do the same for me. I want to know deep inside of me of his love. If the story is not real then is Jesus love for me not real?

rs gold for sale said...

Then he went on to teach what we could get out of the tale even though it's not actual. It's difficult to explain in terms how much this frustrated me. More than anything I want to comprehend Christ really like, sympathy,and whim.
cheap runescape gold
WOW Gold Kaufen Billig