22 February 2013

Dogmatics, Exegesis

That the term dogmatician has nothing to do with dogs does not, I trust, need saying. But when exegetes and dogmaticians get together it is noticeable that they tend to sniff suspiciously at each other, as dogs do, uncertain whether they can be friends. 
--J. I. Packer, "The 'Wretched Man' Revisited: Another Look at Romans 7:14-25," in Romans and the People of God: Essays in Honor of Gordon D. Fee on the Occasion of His 65th Birthday (ed. Sven Soderlund and N. T. Wright; Eerdmans, 1999), 70

1 comment:

aletheia said...

hahahahaha!

I love this thought...
"So when I find it to be a law that "when I want to do right"...

and,

"For I delight in the law of God"...

A sweet inclination of heart. Oh, that more felt his desire, his delight, his compunction! For surely...they would find Christ, a ready and willing Friend...

"Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!"