23 April 2012

The Central Core of My Life

Jack Miller: 
Personally I do not see anyone as a special case with special problems. . . . As Christians we all believe in the forgiveness of sins. Whenever we confess them to God through Christ, we know that they are released from having power over us and the guilt is removed through His atoning sacrifice. But often this does not really control where we live on a practical level. What we are saying is just words, good words, yes, but words nonetheless which have no reference to where we really live and believe.
But it does not have to be this way. I can begin to build my life on the platform of God's forgiving grace. I can make the central core of my life the knowledge that Christ died for me and thus removed my guilt and with that accepted me permanently as His son. 
--The Heart of a Servant-Leader: Letters from Jack Miller (P&R, 2004), 253

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE this quote! I was introduced to this letter (and the book where it is found) through a class I took with CCEF in the fall of 2016. There are no special cases! I daily fight the thought that I am a "special case." - That I am more screwed up than the average human, and because I don't perceive others to be struggling as bad as me, I probably need more than Jesus' life, death, and resurrection, for my redemption. What a crock-pot simmering with lies being stirred by the evil one. Though I am a toddler at doing it, I am learning to "reject this negativistic thinking as unbelief and claim my relationship with God as my Father through faith in Jesus Christ." (Miller, 253)