18 June 2011

'I saw the baby moving and trying to get away...'

Abby Johnson, employee of Planned Parenthood for 8 years, on the day she realized what Planned Parenthood was doing and decided to walk away--
My job was to hold the ultrasound probe on this woman's abdomen so that the physician could actually see the uterus on the ultrasound screen. And when I looked at the screen, I saw a baby. . . . I saw a full side profile. So I saw face to feet. . . . I saw the probe going into the woman's uterus. And at that moment, I saw the baby moving and trying to get away from the probe. . . . And I thought, 'It's fighting for its life. . . . It's life, I mean, it's alive.' . . . And then, all of a sudden, I mean, it was just over. . . . And I just saw the, I just saw the baby just literally, just crumble, and it was over. I was thinking about my daughter, who's three, and I was thinking about the ultrasound that I had of her, and I was thinking of just how perfect that ultrasound was when she was twelve weeks in the womb.
--quoted in Justin Taylor, 'Abortion: Why Silence and Inaction Are Not Options,' in Don't Call it a Comeback (ed. Kevin DeYoung; Crossway, 2011), 182-83

No comments: