20 December 2010

The Wrath of God

Mark Twain, after reading Jonathan Edwards:
Edwards' God shines red and hideous in the glow from the fires of hell, their only right and proper adornment. By God, I was ashamed to be in such company. (quoted by Gerald McDermott here)
The Bible:
'As one gathers silver and bronze and iron and lead and tin into a furnace, to blow the fire on it in order to melt it, so I will gather you in my anger and in my wrath, and I will put you in and melt you. I will gather you and blow on you with the fire of my wrath, and you shall be melted in the midst of it. As silver is melted in a furnace, so you shall be melted in the midst of it, and you shall know that I am the LORD; I have poured out my wrath upon you.' (Ezek 22:20-22)
Mark Twain should have seen where his real problem lay.

No comments: