26 June 2009

Hebrews: A Sermon on Ps 110?

I've become convinced that Hebrews ought not to be called 'The Epistle to the Hebrews' so much as 'The Sermon to the Hebrews.' And Richard Bauckham has recently shown me the pervasive and fundamental significance of Ps 110 for Hebrews.

Is it possible that Hebrews is a sermon 'on' (in the first century sense) Ps 110?

For instance Heb 1 shows the divinity of Christ, climaxing with Ps 110:1 ('The Lord said to my Lord . . .'), whereas the rest of Hebrews goes on to show Christ's humanity, qualifying him to be our high priest, largely drawing on Ps 110:4 ('You are a priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek').

4 comments:

Gavin Ortlund said...

Thats the view Lane takes, that it is a sermon. I tend to see it more as a hybrid, because of the epistle-like conclusion, and its careful literary crafting and complexity. I think you're right about the importance of Psalm 110. Thats one thing I am seeing again and again as I go through, Christ's exaltation and Psalm 110 being everywhere. Interesting post!

Dane Ortlund said...

I think I'm inclined to agree on the hybrid thought Gav.

Gavin Ortlund said...

In what book does Bauckam address Hebrews? I would like to get it. Thanks.

Dane Ortlund said...

Jesus and the God of Israel (Eerdmans 08)