19 May 2009

Colossians: Christ!

Read through one of my favorite portions of Scripture today, Colossians. I'm often struck by how helpful it is to read the smaller books of the Bible in one sitting. I'm a bit slow here, but I learned today that this letter is about Christ. Wow, you're thinking, you really are slow Dane. Anyway, in a way I have never seen by my typical chunk-by-chunk reading of the Bible, Colossians pervasively brings the focus back to Christ. It is saturated with Jesus Christ.

We are familiar of course with the great Christ-hymn of 1:15-20. But every discussion comes back to Christ and his preeminence and sufficiency. "Him we proclaim." "God's mystery, which is Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures . . ." "the circumcision of Christ." "These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ." "Your life is hid with Christ." "When Christ who is your life . . ." "Christ is all, and in all." "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly." "Whatever you do, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus."

Christ!

No comments: