05 September 2008

More of God's Goodness

In talking with my wife Stacey this week I have come to see one more reason I feel so smiled upon by the Lord in this season of life.

When I ask other guys my age about their job, sometimes I get the very clear impression that while they have some genuine interest in what they do, their job is a means to allow them to do what they really want to do (in the evenings and on the weekends). I have known what that's like with past summer jobs etc. But for me, for this season of life anyway, my job is what I want to do. I get up in the morning, go down to the basement, and study the Bible all day. Wow. God has given me the desires (internally) and then the opportunity (circumstantially) to fulfill the desires. Wow. I'm not saying I never get weary of what I do. I have disappointments and discouragements and days when I want to just quit and go be with Jesus, just like anyone else. But that's the minor chord. The major chord is: I love it. Wow.

Thank you, Lord. One undeserved mercy after another continues to wash into my life.

What about you - do you go to work to free you up to do what you want to do, or is your work itself what you enjoy doing? Maybe it's time to reassess.

4 comments:

Dylan said...

Just the other day, I was commenting to my wife that I love my job. As a pastor, I get to study God's Word both at home and at work. I get to dig deep for my own benefit and the benefit of my flock. I get to be used by God in the lives of individuals and families in ways (easy and hard, sad and joyous) that I might never otherwise get to. I couldn't dream up a job I'd rather do (in this life).

Anonymous said...

Doing anything else is, for me, unimaginable. I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I wouldn't understand my purpose and background and future. May the Lord in mercy never take it away but only pour out more.

John Pennylegion said...

Dane,
Maybe this has been out for a while, but I wanted to congratulate on the publication of your book. I saw it on the shelf of Joel H. at CTS and did a double take when I saw "Dane Ortlund" as the author. So congratulations and I'm glad you're enjoying your studies.

Dane Ortlund said...

Thanks Penny!